Doctoral Position in Environmental Genomics (f/m/d)
(part-time 65%, E 13 TV-L)
Reference number 2020/272. The start date is April 1st, 2021 or by agreement. The position is available for three years.
The University of Konstanz is one of eleven Universities of Excellence in Germany. Since 2007 it has been successful in the German Excellence Initiative and its follow-up programme, the Excellence Strategy.
The applicant will join the multidisciplinary team of researchers in the “PHYTOARK” project funded by the Collaborative Excellence Program of the Leibniz Competition. PHYTOARK – “Predicting the future from signatures of the past: using living sediment archives and ancient DNA to understand responses of marine primary producers to environmental changes“ – is an interdisciplinary collaborative project that looks into the Holocene history of the Baltic Sea to investigate past patterns of phytoplankton biodiversity change on the levels of communities and populations and integrates this change with Holocene and Anthropocene climate warming. The results are used in ecosystem models to develop novel tools for the assessment and prediction of ecosystem functioning under global change. The project will be carried out by a network of German and international partners. Network partners within Germany are located at the Institute of Baltic Sea Research Warnemuende (IOW), Senckenberg Research Institute (SGN), University of Hamburg and University of Konstanz. In the doctoral project we will generate population genomic data of algal species and track population level ecological and evolutionary changes.
– Design assays for population genomic analyses
– Analyze ancient DNA from sediment cores of the Baltic Sea
– Interpret the data in conjunction with data generated by the network partners
– Present the results at scientific conferences and in publications
– Work towards a doctoral degree
– An MSc degree or equivalent in biology, life sciences, or similar
– Practical experience with generation and analyses of genomic data
– Experience with bioinformatic and statistical analyses
– Strong writing and communication skills
– A collaborative research attitude, team work skills and interest in exchange with project partners
– Integration in an exciting research project
– Projected research stays in the groups of network partners (in Germany and Sweden)
– Excellent doctoral training opportunities within the network and at the University of Konstanz
– A diverse und welcoming work environment
Questions can be directed to Prof. Dr. Laura Epp via e-mail: email@example.com. We look forward to receiving your application including a CV, motivation letter and names of three references until 19.01.2021 via our Online application portal. Interviews are scheduled for the end of January / first week of February 2021.
The University of Konstanz is committed to ensuring an environment that provides equal opportunities and promotes diversity as well as a good balance between university and family life. As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to increase the number of women working in research and teaching. We also support working couples through our dual career programme (https://www.uni-konstanz.de/en/equalopportunities/family/dual-career/). Persons with disabilities are explicitly encouraged to apply. They will be given preference if appropriately qualified (contact + 49 7531 88–4016).
Details zum Stellenangebot
- Strasse & Hausnummer Universitätsstr. 10
- Bundesland Baden-Württemberg
- Vertragsart Befristet
- Bewerbungsform Online, E-Mail, Postalisch
- Jahresgehalt Nach Vereinbarung